Tight muscles are a real drag, slowing us down, causing injury and generally just putting you in a crappy mood. So I’m going to show you the three best exercises to loosen up your body from top to bottom – and all you need is five minutes!
1. Shoulder and neck release
One of the most popular posts on PhysioPrescription is easily this shoulder myofascial release, incredibly shared over 10000 times on Pinterest and viewed over 30000 times, it really is a go-to exercise for tight necks and shoulders. Grab a firm ball, place it under your upper traps bulk as shown on the video and bring your arm up and down, grinding out that tightness for 1-2 minutes.
2. Hip release
Glute stretches are a great loosener for tight muscles. Being one of the largest and most important muscle groups in the body – it can not be ignored! My favourite glute stretch is the sling stretch and if you do it right, it will easily become a regular for you. As shown in the pictures below, this is how it is done.
- Start on your hands and knees then bring a knee up between your hands and the foot across under your body
- Slide your other leg out to the back
- Now lower down onto your elbows and if you are really game stretch your arms right out as shown.
- To add a Lat stretch in, bring your arm (the one on the same side as your back leg) across in front of you as far as is comfortable.
- Hold for 30 seconds each side
3. Hamstring release
Who hasn’t had nasty hamstrings dragging you down at one point or another? Agin, get a firm ball, sit on a firm chair and place it under your thigh. Tilt your pelvis forward or hold the front of the chair and then straighten your knee in, and then out. Repeat this ten times and then move the ball up or down your hammy. Repeat a few times and you are done.
Try one or all of these exercises out and make it a regular thing. Like, share and comment to let me know how you go.
Take 5 minutes out of your day, take the challenge and get rid of your tight muscles